Sunday, August 29, 2010

Quotes from Early-Mid 20C NA Burlesque Performers and Pin Ups

Gypsy Rose Lee
I wasn't naked. I was completely covered by a blue spotlight.

Gypsy Rose Lee
If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing slowly . . . very slowly

Gypsy Rose Lee
Praying is like a rocking chair - it'll give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere

Gypsy Rose Lee
I have everything I had twenty years ago, only it's all a little lower”

Gypsy Rose Lee
God is love, but get it in writing.

Gypsy Rose Lee
God will protect us, [my mother] often said to June and me. "But to make sure," she would add, "carry a heavy club."

Gypsy Rose Lee
She is descended from a long line that her mother listened to.

Gypsy Rose Lee
Women who marry men they don't love or aren't attracted to, men who are older, unattractive or unlovable, such women cannot validly look down on prostitutes. That is to say, on honest prostitutes. 

Josephine Baker
I wasn't really naked. I simply didn't have any clothes on.
     
Josephine Baker 
The things we truly love stay with us always, locked in our hearts as long as life remains.

Josephine Baker     
I believe in prayer. It's the best way we have to draw strength from heaven.

Josephine Baker 
Surely the day will come when color means nothing more than the skin tone, when religion is seen uniquely as a way to speak one's soul; when birth places have the weight of a throw of the dice and all men are born free, when understanding breeds love and brotherhood.

Josephine Baker     
A violinist had a violin, a painter his palette. All I had was myself. I was the instrument that I must care for.

Josephine Baker
“It [the Eiffel Tower] looked very different from the Statue of Liberty, but what did that matter? What was the good of having the statue without the liberty?”
     
Josephine Baker
. . . I improvised, crazed by the music. . . . Even my teeth and eyes burned with fever. Each time I leaped I seemed to touch the sky and when I regained earth it seemed to be mine alone.


Josephine Baker                    
I like Frenchmen very much, because even when they insult you they do it so nicely.

Josephine Baker     
I was learning the importance of names -- having them, making them -- but at the same time I sensed the dangers. Recognition was followed by oblivion, a yawning maw whose victims disappeared without a trace.

Josephine Baker      
Beautiful? It's all a question of luck. I was born with good legs. As for the rest . . . beautiful, no. Amusing, yes.

Ann Corio
Deciduous kinesthetics.

Georgia Sothern
I have a style all my own. Most teasers, just take off their clothes and parade around for their audience. Now I really work for my fans."
Lily St. Cyr
When a beautiful girl gets older she should go Garboesque"

Lily St. Cyr
Sex is currency. What's the use of being beautiful if you can't profit from it?

Sally Rand
Beauty comes from within; a greedy, avaricious, gossipy woman cannot be beautiful.

Sally Rand
I have been successful, and I am grateful for my success. I have had some experiences that I wish I never had had, but that would be true in any business. I cannot say sincerely that I would have chosen just this road to fortune. Perhaps I might have wished for another way. But I took the opportunity that came to me. Certainly I am an opportunist. I admit it.
 
Sally Rand
I had to find a new twist. I wanted a balloon 60 inches in diameter, which is my height, made of a translucent or transparent material.

Sally Rand
I have never retired - I have averaged 40 working weeks a year since 1933.

Sally Rand
I haven't been out of work since the day I took my pants off.

Sally Rand
I like boys. I am not foreign; I was born and raised in Hickory County, Mo.

Sally Rand
I'm not the type to sit on the porch and watch life go by.

Sally Rand
I'm the original.

Sally Rand
If you love living, you try to take care of the equipment.

Sally Rand
They planned this fair to bring business to Chicago, into the Loop. But you could have fired a cannon down state street and hit nobody, because everybody was out at the fair.

Sally Rand
What in heaven's name is strange about a grandmother dancing nude? I'll bet lots of grandmothers do it.

Sally Rand
When I first came out with my fans and the wind hit me, I almost took off.

Tempest Storm
I don't just get up there and rip my clothes off.

Tempest Storm
No, no. I’m not ready to hang up my G-string yet. I’ve got too many fans that would be disappointed.

Betty Page
I was never the girl next door.

Betty Page
[Jerry Tibbs was] the one who got me wearing bangs. For years I had my hair parted down the middle in a ponytail, tucked down around the sides. But he said to me, 'Bettie, you've got a very high forehead. I think you'd look good if you cut some bangs to cover it.' Well, I went and cut the bangs, and I've been wearing them ever since. They say it's my trademark.

Betty Page
I was never one who was squeamish about nudity. I don't believe in being promiscuous about it, but several times I thought of going to a nudist colony.

Betty Page
The only person I did bondage for was Irving Klaw and his sister Paula. Usually they would shoot four or five models every Saturday. He wouldn't pay for the regular pictures unless we did some bondage. So I did bondage shots to get paid for the other photos. 

Betty Page
I love to swim in the nude and roam around the house in the nude. You're just as free as a bird!
 
Betty Page
I don't know what they mean by an icon. I never thought of myself as being that. It seems strange to me. I was just modeling, thinking of as many different poses as possible. I made more money modeling than being a secretary. I had a lot of free time. You could go back to work after an absence of a few months. I couldn't do that as a secretary.

Betty Page
My favorite actress of all times is Bette Davis in Dark Victory. I have seen it six or seven times and I still cry.

Betty Page
I like being outdoors. I like to go cavorting in the nude in the forests. It is just another world. To take sunbaths in the nude.

Betty Page
Sex is a part of love. You shouldn't go around doing it unless you are in love . . .

Betty Page
Paula was one of the nicest women I've ever known in my life-bar none. Only Paula was allowed to tie us up. She was very gentle, caring and considerate. She never tied any ropes too tight. She was very sweet.

Betty Page
I never kept up with the fashions. I believed in wearing what I thought looked good on me.

Betty Page
It makes me feel wonderful that people still care for me... that I have so many fans among young people, who write to me and tell me I have been an inspiration.

 
Virginia Bell
One day we`ll have to bring a cow into the middle of the room so you can show us, ... We`ll have to bring it from a side door, because I don`t think cows do steps.

Virginia Bell
It was really a second career for me ... I married after college and raised a family, then began developing this program for dementia

Tura Santana
I am that little bitch you fear because I'm not afraid. I'm everything that's real, while you know you're just a fake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers